Table of Contents
Measurements |points shall be noted while taking measurements.
|Measurement|points shall be noted while taking measurements.|Methods of measurement|Measurement|Measurement of works|
Measurement of civil engineering works occupies a very important place in planning and execution of works, right from the stage of preparation of estimate to the final completion of works and settlement of payment of the works to the contractors.
There are some differences regarding the method of measurement among the State Government departments. But the method introduced by the Indian Standard (I.S.) is legal and basic document for removing ambiguities and settling all the disputes for making payment to the contractors.
Following points shall be noted while taking measurements.
1. Each item shall be fully described.
2. The measurement shall be taken in the order of sequence of length, breadth or width and height or depth.
3. Dimensions shall be measured to the nearest to 0.01 m.
4. Area shall be worked out to the nearest to 0.01 m2.
5. Cubic contents shall be worked out to the nearest to 0.01 m3.
6. The same work done under different conditions shall be measured separately stating the conditions, the lift and lead wherever possible.
Statement showing the unit of measurement for different items used in civil engineering works are given below:
Units of Measurement: m3, m2, running metre, kg, quintal, tonne etc.
1. Earthwork m3 or cubic meter
2. P.C.C. for foundation m3
3. R.C.C. m3
4. Brickwork m3
5. Stone masonry m3
6. Wood work for door and window frames m3
7. Door and window shutters m2 or square meter
8. Cement-concrete grill work m2
9. 10 cm thick brick wall m2
10. D.P.C. m2
11. Plastering and pointing m2
12. Flooring m2
13. Skirting m2 (for 1 tile), RMT (for 1 2 tile)
14. Grills and collapsible gate m2
15. Tiled roofing, A.C. sheets, G.I. sheets m2
16. Centering and shuttering or formwork m2
17. Dado m2
18. Oil paint/colouring m2
19. Barbed wire fencing RMT or running meter
20. Railing RMT
21. Pipe RMT
22. Brick on edge Numbers
23. W.C. pan/wash basin Numbers
24. Manhole cover Numbers
25. Site clearance Job (Lumpsum)
26. Electric wiring Point
27. M.S. reinforcement kg or Metric Tonne (M. Ton.)
28. Timbering of trenches m2
29. Grouting for crack joints m2
30. Surface drying m2
31. Earthwork in surface dressing Square metre
32. Excavation for post holes Number
33. Planking, strutting, clearing of shrubs, brushwoods, small trees including removals and disposal Square metre
34. Cutting of big trees with disposal Number
35. Sand filling cu.m.
36. Cavity walls sq.m.
37. Brickwork less than one brick thick sq.m.
38. Honey combed Brickwork sq.m.
39. Stone work in facing sq.m.
40. Stone course Running metre
41. Rain water pipe Running metre
42. Paving work sq.m.
43. Stone sills sq.m.
44. White glazed tiles sq.m.
45. Rolled steel beams quintal
46. Collapsible gate (steel) sq.m.
47. Nut bolts and washer kg
48. Formwork sq.m.
49. Laying of water and sewer pipe Running metre
50. Bib cock, stop cock, whele valve Number
51. False ceiling sq.m.