BOARD CLASSIFICATION OF METHODS OF IRRIGATION AND THEIR EFFICIENCIES
Methods of irrigation cab are broadly classified under three headings as follows:
- Surface irrigation methods.
- Spray or sprinkler irrigation.
- Sub-soil methods of irrigation.
- In surface irrigation methods, irrigation water is sprea sheet on the surface of the fields to be irrigate.
- The application efficiency of surface methods is low as lot of irrigation water lost by evaporation and deep percolation.
- If fields are prepare in suitable lengths and slope, and surface roughness and soil
- Infilteration ratio are some how scientifically design and controlled.
- the application efficiency of these methods can be increased as much as 50 to 60 percent.
- In sub-soil method of irrigation water is not applie at the surface of the fields but at the root zone of the crops.
- It is possible to achieve even higher than 80% irrigation efficiency by this method of irrigation.