METHODS OF SURFACE IRRIGATION
Following are the methods of surface irrigation:
- Wild or uncontrolled flooding.
- Free flooding.
- Contour laterals.
- Border strip method.
- Check flooding method.
- Basin flooding method.
- Zigzag method.
- Furrowed method.
All these methods have been explained one by one.
1. Wild or Uncontrolled Flooding.
- In this method water is applie to rather unprepared fields without exercising any control on the direction of spread of water.
- No levees are generally made to guide the spread of water
2. Free Flooding.
- This method is a somewhat improve method than wild or uncontrolled flooding method.
- This method is mainly adopted where fields have not been properly prepared and field soil is so hard
- That it will allow very small amount of water to be absorbed by top soil before flooding water gets evaporated.
- allowed to flood or spread on whole of the field so as to give time to the soil to absorb sufficient amount of water.
- The fields are provid with permanent supply water course.
- This method is very much prevalent in most parts of U.P. where soil is of very heavy type.