RATIONAL METHOD OF ESTIMATING RUN-OFF
- This method is a very useful method for evaluating the peak rate of run-off.
- This method is based on the fact that if a rainfall is appli to an impervious surface at a constant rate,
- The resulting run-off from the surface would finally reach a rate equal to the rate of rainfall.
- In the beginning only a certain amount of water will reach the outlet, but after sometime, the water
- Will start reaching the out let from the entire area and in this case the run-off rate would become equal to the rainfall rate.
- The time require to reach this equilibrium condition is know time of concentration and the peak rate of run-off would be equal to the rate of rainfall.
- This is the basis of the rational method. The peak rate of run-off can be estimated using the following formula:
Rp = Peak rate of run-off in cumecs.
k = Run-off coefficient
p = Rainfall intensity, during the critical rainfall duration is equal to the time of concentration in cm/hr.
A = Drainage area hectares of the catchment in hectares.