STEADY RADIAL FLOW TO A WELL
The method of analysis as adopted by Mr. Dupuit was later modified by Mr. Thiem in 1906. Flow or discharge formulae, for both the analysis, for confined and unconfined formations, have been derived as follows.
- Dupuit’s theory. Level of water in the well which is not flowing, is same as that of water table.
- When water is pumped from the well, its level is depressed and water from surrounding soil starts entering the well.
- As soon as water starts entering the well, a depression in water table surrounding the well is created.
- This depression is called the draw down curve or the cone of depression.
- Draw down at any point away from well is the vertical distance by which a water table is lowered from the normal water table.
Discharge from a well in unconfined aquifer.