Table of Contents
- 1 TYPES OF STRAINERS
TYPES OF STRAINERS
- The strainer pipe is a perforate pipe which is provid with such an arrangement that only water can be admitted inside the pipe.
- Various patents types of strainers are available in the market.
Some of the strainer are:
1. Cook’s strainer
2. Tej strainer
3. Ashford strainer
4. Leggett strainer
5. Phoenix strainer
6. Layne and Bowler strainer
7. Brownlie strainer
8. Esbee strainer
9. Mesh strainer.
1. Cook’s Strainer.
- It is made from solid drawn brass tube and is very costly.
- It consists of wedge shaped slots atits surface.
- Slots are wider at the inside and finer at the outer surface.
- The size of the slots depends upon the coarseness of the sand in which it is to be used.
- It is not used much in India.
- The size of the slots may vary from 0.1 mm to 0.4 mm.
2. Tej Strainer.
- It is just like Cook’s strainer.
- The strainer tube is made by folding and bending the brass sheet.
- Slots are cuts in the sheet in required gauge before sheet is bent to form a tube.
- It is very much manufactured in India.
- Its diameter is 7.5 cm and above and length 2.5 m.
- Vertical joint of the sheet is closed by brazing.
- If larger than 2.5 in length is required more than one lengths of strainer are joined together by screwed collar joint.
3. Ashford Strainer.
- It is also a brass tube having round holes in it.
- A steel wire is wrapped over the brass tube and then a wire mesh is soldered to the wound wire.
- The wire is wound to maintain a clear space between strainer and wire mesh.
- The wire mesh is finally protected and strengthened by a wire net around it.
4. Leggett Strainer.
- It is a very costly strainer.
- It is not used in India.
- The device can be operated from the ground. Whenever strainer is clogged this device is operated and strainer is cleaned without any difficulty.
5. Phoenix Strainer.
- It consists of a cadmium plated mild steel tube.
- Cadmium plating keeps the strainer free from choking and corrosion.
- Its slots are also made from inside the tube with the help of a special machine.
6. Layne and Bowler Strainer.
- It also consists of a slotted or perforated steel or wrought iron pipe.
- A wedge shaped steel wire is wound around the tube at suitable pitch.
7. Brownlie Strainer.
- Steel plates are bent in form of polygonal convolutes.
- Suitable perforation holes are made in convolutes.
- The convolute shaped perforated tube is enclosed in a wire mesh of copper wires.
- It is considered one of the best strainers as wire mesh remains slightly away from the perforated tube.
8. Esbee Strainer.
- It consists of a steel frame made of iron rods and wound by coir.
- The coir acts as a screen which allows water to pass but prevents sand.
- Its ends are so rivetted to screwed pipe that they can be easily joined to the next pipe.
9. Mesh Strainer.
- It consists of a metal plate in which slots are punched.
- The punched strip is not removed.
- It is mostly made from iron plate which is wound in form of a pipe after making slots in it. It is claimed that they do not choke.