- As the name of this dam indicates, it is constructed by using locally available soil predominantly.
- These dam have been constructed since early days of civilisation.
- Even today, earthen dams are the most common types of dams.
- The following are the main reasons due to which these dams have been and still continue to be the most commonly used types.
- The basic material used in the construction, is the local soil.
- This aspect makes these dams economical.
- The science of soil mechanics has recently developed to such a stage that dams constructed from earth by adopting the modern theories of soil mechanics, can be as equally relied upon as those of gravity dams.
- No specific type of foundation is required.
- They can be constructed on any type of foundation.
- No skill of very high standard is required.
- No materials has to be imported from outside.